Saturday, January 29, 2011

Salsa Chicken Rice Casserole

I was thinking something mexican but didn't have too much in the house.  I searched the web and found a recipe that I could use.  It has some low points for some of the ingredients, so I said lets try it!  And it tasted great!!


There's only 6 ingredients:

Salsa Chicken Rice Casserole
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
5 cooked chicken breasts
1.5 cups of rice
1.5 cups of water
1 onion chopped
1.5 cups salsa
1 can Campbell's Healthy Request Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
2 cups of reduced fat cheddar cheese

1.  Cook chicken breasts if not already cooked.
2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3.  Cook rice.  I used White Minute Rice.  I cooked per their instructions for 1.5 cups of rice with 1.5 cups of water.
4.  Mix the soup, onions and salsa together.
5.  In a lighted greased 9x13x2 dish, layer the following:  half of the rice, half of the chicken, half of the salsa soup mixture, then half of the cheese.  Repeat again making sure the cheese is on top.

6.  Cook in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.
7.  Top with sour cream or salsa.  For a spicier casserole, top with hot salsa or Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce


Weight Watchers Points Plus:
The entire recipe excluding any toppings was a total of 65 Points Plus.  I had 10 servings from my casserole, so each serving was 7 Points Plus.

Notes for making next time:
This was OK but needs some more flavor.  Need to add some more spice or a hotter salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment