Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chili

My husband LOVES chili.  And the spicier, the better for him.  Me and spicy foods do not agree but I will make this for him.

2 key ingredients are: 

And jalapenos:
Please note that you should wear gloves if handling jalapenos!!  I did not and then touched my eye (and I was wearing my contact lenses).  My eye was burning.  Then my fingertips started to burn where I was holding the jalapenos.  Please do not make the mistake I did!

Chili
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
2 pounds lean ground beef ( I used ground sirloin)
1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, do not drain or rinse
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
3 chopped jalapenos (with seeds from about 1.5 jalapenos)
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder

1.  Brown ground beef.  Drain and crumble.
2.  In a large pot, add all of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours.


Weight Watchers Points Plus:
The entire recipe was a total of 68 Points Plus.  So I had 12 servings with 1 cup per serving.  So each serving was 6 Points Plus.

Notes for making next time:
Make variations - don't add the jalapenos, change the chili powder to mexican chili powder, etc.  My hubby likes this in all the different variations!

No comments:

Post a Comment